The Triangle is a former animal pound located on St Leonards Road, Hythe, Kent.
The open space was purchased in August 2016 using funds from £28,000 of donations from the community and local businesses and a grant from Councillor Martin Whybrow / Kent County Council.
The Triangle is freehold land owned outright by the Hythe Triangle Community Garden, which is a registered charity number 1163141.
The Charity is governed by 6 Trustees – Alyson Ward, Andy Maguire, Ashley Tanton, Crispin Davies, Julie Abbott and Terry Ellames.
The Triangle is a small parcel of land that is formed at the junction of Windmill Street, Albert Road and St Leonards Road in Hythe, Kent.
The Triangle was first used in the 1800’s as an animal pound where stray livestock would be safely kept until it could be reunited with its owner who would then pay for its keep. More recently, it is understood that The Triangle provided a watering station, probably by the military.
After a transfer of ownership in 2011, the new owners started to clear the site and felled several trees including one which was planted in memoriam to a Hythe resident.
The community responded quickly and the remaining trees on the site were made the subject of Tree Preservation Orders. The campaign to protect the site gathered momentum and the site was brought to the attention of English Heritage who recognised the historical importance of the site and, in 2012, added The Triangle to the Heritage List as a Grade II asset.
In 2014, plans were deposited for the construction of two houses on the site. These plans were refused by the Shepway District Council.
Following the refusal, the land was sold again – this time to a local resident concerned chiefly with its protection as open space.
A campaign was launched and two years later the land was purchased by the Charity.